Manoj Kumar is called ‘Bharat Kumar‘ of Hindi cinema. This is because Manoj Kumar has done mostly patriotic films in his film career. Manoj Kumar’s film ‘Purab Aur Paschim‘, which made the Indian civilization famous abroad. The film was released in 1970. In this film, Manoj Kumar is the son of a freedom fighter and goes abroad for further studies. It is shown in the film that despite being abroad, Manoj Kumar does not forget Indian civilization and praises Indian tradition there too.
Movie Name: Purab Aur Paschim (पूरब और पश्चिम).
Release date: 1970 (India).
Director: Manoj Kumar.
Production company: Vishal International Productions Private Limited.
Screenplay: Manoj Kumar.
Music director: Anandji Virji Shah, Kalyanji Virji Shah.
In 1970, three years after the film Upkar, Manoj Kumar brought ‘Purab Aur Paschim‘. This was the period when Western culture was spreading its foot in the country. Indian youth were being cut off from their culture and values under the guise of fashion. The film hurts those who see everything bad in their country and everything good in the West. The film also shows the agony of those who went abroad in the hope of a better life but were cut off from Indian culture.
The film is the story of a young man Bharat (Manoj Kumar) who goes to London for higher education. He feels sorry to see how Indians living there have been cut off from their values and culture. How do those people dyed in western colors look down on their own country and countrymen. The scene of the film is unique in which Harnam (Pran), who has been living in England for years, asks India if there is anything about your country that you can be proud of. The contribution of your country is zero. India turns back and answers… Jab Zero Diya Mere Bharat Ne, Duniya Ko Tab Ginti Aayi… Taron Ki Bhasha Bharat Ne Duniya Ko Pahle Sikhlai. This is to say that through the song, India annihilates every name by telling the characteristics of India.
There are many similar episodes in the film which not only show the superiority of India but also raise the head of the audience with pride. Like Upkar, the song and music of this film also raised their heads. Hai Preet Jahan Ki Reet Sada…, Dulhan Chali O Pahan Chali Teen Rang Choli…, Purba Suhani Aayi Re…, Koi Jab Tumhara Hriday Tod De… Songs like this are still humming decades later.
This film, which distinguishes “Purab Aur Paschim“, became a landmark in true sense. In subsequent years, dozens of films were made on the same theme, but none could leave the influence of “Purab Aur Paschim“. Today, even after 47 years, the film fills the audience with pride.
Purab Aur Paschim Cast
‘Purab Aur Paschim‘ is the main actor of the film Manoj Kumar, whose name in this film is Bharat, who is also the son of a Revolutionary (Krantikari/Freedom Fighter) and respects his country very much.
- Ashok Kumar As Bharat’s Guru / Dad
- Saira Banu As Preeti
- Manoj Kumar As Bharat (Lead Role)
- Pran As Harnam
- Nirupa Roy As Kaushalya (Harnam’s Wife)
- Barbara Lindley As Christina
- Madan Puri As Preeti’s dad
- Shammi As Rita (Preeti’s mom)
- Leena Mishra As Wife of man employed in Britain
- Kamini Kaushal As Bharat’s mom
- Prem Chopda As Omkar
- Rajendra Nath As Shankar
- Vinod Khanna As Gopi’s groom
Purab Aur Paschim All Songs.
1. Dulhan Chali Song By Mahendra Karoor.
2. Koi Jab Tumhara Hriday Tod De Song By Mukesh[Koi Jab Tumhara Hriday Tod De Video Song 👀]
3. Om Jai Jagdish Hare Song By Mahendra Kapoor, Brij Bhushan Kabra[Om Jai Jagdish Hare Video Song 👀]
4. Purva Suhani Aayi Re Song By Lata Mangeshkar, Mahendra Kapoor, Manhar Udhas[Purva Suhani Aayi Re Video Song 👀]
5. Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram Song By Mahendra Kapoor, Manhar Udhas[Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram Video Song 👀]
6. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Song By Mahendra Kapoor & Asha Bhosle[Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Video Song 👀]